Thursday, April 28, 2011

Rainbow Cupcakes

Yes, I really mean rainbow cupcakes! A couple of days ago I found this post on rainbow cupcakes and had to take a stab at it!

Her cupcakes were photographed way better than mine, but I took my pictures at like 10pm before packing them up in plastic containers so they wouldn't go stale. Anyway, she suggested to only use white liners but since I didn't have any white I opted for my less than $1 after Halloween Hobby Lobby clearance liners!

After they finished baking I thought they looked pretty awesome with each skull showing the colors through but the black masking the rest. I totally lucked out!
While The Dainty Squid didn't give a frosting recipe, I will! I made an impromptu butter cream frosting that uses regular sugar rather than powdered because I was out.

Ingredients:
1 stick of room temp unsalted butter
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. whipping cream*
1/4 c. water*
1/4 - 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Add the sugar, whipping cream and water together in your mixer and turn on high until all the crystals dissolve. Add the stick of butter and cream until all the bumps have blended. Add the vanilla extract and blend. Finally, add the flour little by little to your liking.

*you can substitute 1/2 c. of milk for the cream and water but the frosting may not be as fluffy.

Note: I added flour to take a little bit of the sweetness away and add a little more volume because of the lack of *powdered* sugar. Also, cake mixes are way too sweet IMO so I wanted the frosting just to be not as sweet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com